Growing your advertising income is an incremental process, one where small decisions can accumulate to make a real difference. One easy way to optimize your site for ads is to keep an up-to-date ads.txt file on your site. What is an ads.txt file, you might ask?
Ads.txt (Authorized Digital Sellers) is a mechanism that enables content owners to declare who is authorized to sell their ad inventory. It’s the formal list of advertising partners you support as a publisher.
If you are a current member of the Jetpack Ads program and you’ve customized the ads.txt file on your site, you may not be reaching your maximum earning potential. Advertising buyers actually block sites that are missing buyers’ ads.txt data, so it’s very important to keep this file current.
To maximize the revenue you’re generating, you can configure Jetpack to control your ads.txt file — that way, the list of approved partners updates automatically, while you save time you can better invest in running your business or creating new content. Here’s how:
- Make sure that you’re running the latest version of Jetpack from Dashboard → Updates.
- Head to <your-site-url>/ads.txt, and copy the custom entries you find there.
- Go to your site’s Ads section at Jetpack → Settings → Traffic, and paste those entries into the Custom ads.txt entries field.
- Click the blue Save Settings button at the top of the Ads section when you’re done.
- Confirm that there is no ads.txt file at the root of your site. If another plugin is trying to manage your ads.txt file, disable the plugin.