XML Sitemaps for WordPress Sites
Make sure that Google and other search engines can understand your site.
What is a sitemap and why do I need it?
Sitemaps are like a table of contents for your site written in a special language (XML) that is understandable by search engines like Google and Bing.
Having a sitemap is not necessary for search engines to discover and index your site but it helps ensure that they’re indexing it and understanding correctly.
It is entirely possible (and reasonably easy for a savvy website owner) to produce a sitemap manually, but automating the process has the following benefits:
- However careful we are, manual work is always error-prone.
- Automatically updated to reflect new content or changes to your site structure.
- Creating a sitemap manually, frankly, is rather boring.
Jetpack automatically creates a sitemap for your site as well as one tailored specifically for Google News.
- Generate a sitemap listing all your public posts and pages.
- Generate a News sitemap built specifically for Google News.
- Supports Google, Yahoo!, Bing, Ask.com, and others.
- Optionally add new Custom Post Type to the default Sitemap.
- Automatically turns off if another sitemap plugin is in use.
Part of Jetpack’s suite of traffic tools for WordPress sites including stats, sharing, automatic promotion, related posts, and more.
Frequently Answered Questions
Answers to common questions we get asked. We’d be more than happy to answer any additional questions you may have!
How much do XML sitemaps cost?
XML sitemaps are provided for free to all WordPress sites running Jetpack.
How do I turn it on?
Whatever sort of site you’re running, Jetpack’s features are designed to keep your site secure, build your brand, and better engage with more readers.
Don’t have Jetpack?
If you don’t currently have Jetpack, install it now so you can begin taking advantage of our features. Installation is easy and free -- you don't need a paid subscription.Install Jetpack