What data is included in backups from Jetpack VaultPress Backup?
The backup data includes all the unique and irreplaceable data you have stored in WordPress, and everything properly integrated into the WordPress installation. Jetpack VaultPress Backup backs up the following data:
- Your WordPress database. This includes any tables that begin with your WordPress database’s table prefix and also have a unique key or primary key.
- All files in the
- Everything in your WordPress root directory that isn’t part of another WordPress installation.
- Certain other files inside the
What data is not included in backups from Jetpack VaultPress Backup?
We do not back up:
- The core files of WordPress. These can be downloaded from WordPress.org at any time.
- Files outside the directories listed above.
- Database tables that don’t look like they belong to WordPress.
- Database tables whose rows have no unique identifier.
- Cache and backup directories.
- Additional WordPress installs, such as ones that are included inside a subdirectory.
How can I exclude certain files from being backed up?
You have two options for excluding certain files from being backed up:
- Create a new directory to exclude: You can move files to a new directory called
donotbackup. Jetpack VaultPress Backup will know to skip this directory automatically. This is a great way to reduce the storage size of your backups.
- Exclude an existing directory: You can add a file called
.donotbackupto any existing directory. Jetpack VaultPress Backup will know to skip this entire directory because of the
.donotbackupfile in the directory.
When do real-time backups occur?
The Jetpack VaultPress Backup plugin uses WordPress core’s built-in “hooks” system. When certain data changes on your site, the hooks system sends an alert to the Jetpack VaultPress Backup plugin. The plugin then syncs those changes with our servers and generates a backup for your site.
Information that’s backed up in real-time includes changes to:
- WordPress core’s database tables.
- WooCommerce database tables.
- Any associated file changes (uploaded media, for example).
All other changes are backed up daily.
When do daily backups occur?
Daily backups usually occur 24 hours after the last backup. However, it is not possible to set a specific time for daily backups to occur.
Does the Jetpack VaultPress Backup plugin support websites built on multisite?
The Jetpack VaultPress Backup plugin doesn’t currently support websites built on WordPress multisite.
Where are backups stored?
The Jetpack VaultPress Backup plugin stores your backups on servers in our secure data centers around the world.
While it isn’t possible to restrict data storage to a particular geographic location, what we can provide is the Standard Contractual Clauses, which we include in our Data Processing Agreement (DPA). DPAs are contractual tools for websites and companies to make commitments to their customers, vendors, and partners that their data handling complies with the law, including transferring data out of the EU.
If you are interested in having a DPA with us, you can request one from the Privacy Settings page in your dashboard at https://wordpress.com/me/privacy.
Still need help?
Please contact support directly. We’re happy to lend a hand and answer any other questions that you may have.