Lazy Loading Images for WordPress
Speed up your site significantly with faster-loading images.
How can I make my site load faster?
If your site has a lot of images or photos, you don’t want to drive visitors away by making them wait a long time for your content to load.
But you also don’t want to sacrifice quality by compressing or resizing your graphics, photos, or embedded content.
Jetpack’s lazy loading images feature automatically delays the loading of media on your posts and pages until your visitors scroll down to where they appear on the page. This means:
- Visitors don’t need to wait seconds or even minutes for media-heavy pages to load.
- Your site will become much, much faster overall.
- Your bounce rate will drop.
- You won’t have to edit your gorgeous images or photos before uploading them—we’ll take care of all the work for you.
Lazy loading images work out of the box with little to no tweaking of your existing pages or media galleries, and can be activated with one click.
- Reduces loading times for your site content.
- Gives users a smooth and uninterrupted viewing experience.
- Fully compatible with other Jetpack image tools, including our free image CDN.
- Also works on mobile devices and in the free WordPress.com apps.
Jetpack Search is part of Jetpack’s suite of design tools for WordPress sites including content delivery, image tools, sidebar customization, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to some common questions. And we’re always more than happy to answer any additional questions you may have.
When will my images actually load?
Any images you add to a page will only load when they’re in a visitor’s “viewport”—that is, when they actually get to the part of the page where the image is expected to appear.
On a page that has multiple images, this can save a substantial amount of time, because a browser normally loads everything regardless of where the visitor is looking. This loads the page in bits, so visitors can start reading or viewing your first few images right away.
How much does the lazy loading image feature cost?
Lazy images are provided for free to all WordPress sites running Jetpack.
How do I turn it on?
Simply install Jetpack and enable it with one click from your Jetpack dashboard.
Whatever sort of site you’re running, Jetpack’s features are designed to keep your site secure, build your brand, and better engage with more readers.
Don’t have Jetpack?
If you don’t currently have Jetpack, install it now so you can begin taking advantage of our features. Installation is easy and free -- you don't need a paid subscription.Install Jetpack