With Jetpack VideoPress, you can select your privacy settings whether leaving your videos to your default site privacy settings, public, or private. You can also determine whether all of your current and future videos are private.
Jetpack VideoPress is available to anyone with a Jetpack Complete, or VideoPress plan. The Video Privacy feature is available on either of these plans.
Setting Your Privacy
You can access and change your video privacy settings directly from your Media Library or within a post or page that you are adding a video to.
Change Privacy in the Media Library:
- Go to WordPress.com.
- In the top left corner, click Switch Site and select the Jetpack-connected site you’re working on.
- Go to Media.
- Click on the video(s) that you want to change privacy settings on or upload a new video by clicking the Add New button.
- When you click on the video(s) you’ll then click the Edit button, this will open a pop-up with your video and all applicable settings.
- Under the Privacy setting you’ll see options for Site Default, Public or Private. Select your desired privacy setting and then click Done.
Change Privacy in a Post or Page:
To get started access a post or page that has an uploaded VideoPress video or create a new one. Once you have selected your page or post add a video and allow the upload process to begin.
Check out our Uploading a Video to Jetpack VideoPress for help with uploading videos.
In the right sidebar under Block Settings, scroll down to Video Privacy. Here you will see that privacy will default to your site privacy settings.
By selecting the dropdown you can select Site Default, Public, or Private. Select the option you need for your video.
When you choose Private only members of your site will be able to view the video on your post or pages. Non-Members will see a video player that looks like the image to the right.
This video uploaded does not have a poster image. If you selected to show a poster image that image would be displayed with the private overlay message.
If you have multiple videos within a post or page that you’d like to be selective about privacy you can change the privacy settings for each video. For example, to the right, you can see two videos that are set as Public.
When you change the block settings for one of these videos to be Private instead of public a non-member of your site will see this instead:
If you prefer to be selective about which videos are private or public you can manage each block’s settings through the steps above.
If you prefer all of your videos to be private except to members of your site you can change those settings into perpetuity for your site.
If you’re using the Jetpack Plugin
- In your site’s WP Admin, go to Jetpack > Settings > Performance
- Scroll down to Media > VideoPress > Video Privacy
- Toggle “Restrict views to members of this site”
If you’re using the Jetpack VideoPress Plugin
- In your site’s WP Admin, go to Jetpack > VideoPress.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
- Toggle “Video Privacy: Restrict views to members of this site”
Once that option is toggled your videos will now be restricted to members of your site and no longer visible to non-members.
Still need help?
Please contact support directly. We’re happy to lend a hand and answer any other questions that you may have.