For more efficient video performance, Jetpack VideoPress uses WordPress.com’s servers rather than your host’s server.
There are a few ways to upload videos into Jetpack VideoPress:
- Upload via the VideoPress Block in your page or post editor
- Upload via the VideoPress Dashboard (individual VideoPress plugin required)
- Upload via WordPress.com media library (not possible if you’re using the individual VideoPress plugin)
Only Jetpack-connected users with the Administrator role can upload videos to a VideoPress-powered site. All Administrators can view all the uploaded videos on the site’s Media Library, irrespective of which Administrator uploaded the video.
Video file recommendations for successful uploads
For best results, we recommend uploading videos with the following specifications:
|Max Resolution||3840×2160 (4k)|
Larger is OK, but this is the largest size currently available in the VideoPress player.
If you are uploading a video that will only be played in the VideoPress block, videos encoded with the h.265 or VP9 codecs can be uploaded if desired.
|File size||Less than 5GB, but less than 1GB is recommended|
Most networks will time out before you’re able to upload a file that’s larger than 1.4 GB. We cannot support files that are larger than 5 GB.
|Bit Rate||8mbps for 1080p30, 12mbps for 1080p60|
Recommended, but other values are OK.
|Length||Shorter than 3 hours|
If a video is longer than three hours, the video will only be available at standard resolution (240p) after upload.
|Audio||AAC minimum 160kbps|
|Other Settings||Fast Start / Web Optimized / progressive download (so the whole file doesn’t need to be downloaded before playback can begin)|
If your source video doesn’t meet the above specifications, a desktop tool like HandBrake can be used to convert it before you upload it to the Media Library. There are also many mobile apps for compressing videos on a mobile device.
Add a video via the VideoPress Block
To upload a video to Jetpack VideoPress via the VideoPress Block, please follow these instructions:
Add a video via the VideoPress dashboard
Add a video via WordPress.com
To add a video to Jetpack VideoPress via WordPress.com:
- First, you must be using VideoPress via the full-featured Jetpack plugin, or have Jetpack installed and connected separately from the individual VideoPress plugin.
- Navigate to WordPress.com.
- In the top left corner, click Switch Site and select the Jetpack-connected site you want to upload videos to.
- Go to Media.
- Click Add new and find the file on your computer. Alternatively, you can drag and drop your new video from your computer into the Media Library.
- Once you add your video, you will see it show up in the media library as the upload progresses. After the video is done uploading, you’ll see the video’s thumbnail update to show an image from the video.
Modify a Video’s settings
For more information about how to customize your videos, check out this page.