Thank you for your interest in the Jetpack Beta program! This page will go over our guidelines and installation instructions for the Jetpack Beta Tester plugin.
Jetpack Beta Guidelines
- You need to have the regular Jetpack plugin installed, activated, and updated to the most recent version.
- Please only install the Jetpack Beta Tester plugin on a test site. By their nature, Beta releases could be unstable and should not be used on a site where your data is important. If you decide to install this on a live site, please backup your WordPress database before installing the Jetpack Beta Tester plugin or upgrading to a new Beta release.
- Follow our blog at Jetpack.com, our Twitter account, or our Facebook page for new feature announcements and bug fixes.
- Provide us feedback!
- Do you have an idea on how to improve a feature?
- Is something not working the way it should?
- Did you find a typo or other confusing language?
- Are you unsure on how to activate features or configure plugin settings?
- For all of these (and more!) please use our feedback form and let us know!
- For general help with stable versions of Jetpack, see the help or troubleshooting page.
Installing the Jetpack Beta Tester Plugin
Follow these steps to install the Jetpack Beta Tester plugin right from your site’s Dashboard:
- Check that you have the regular Jetpack plugin installed and activated. Also double-check to see if you’re on the most recent version.
- Download the Jetpack Beta Tester plugin using the button above and do not extract the zip file. Make a note where you downloaded this file – you will need to know this for step 5 below.
- From your Dashboard, go to Plugins → Add New, then click the Upload Plugin button.
- On the next screen, click the Choose File button.
- Find and choose the file titled jetpack-beta-master.zip that you downloaded in step 2 above.
- Next, click the Install Now button.
- After the plugin has successfully been installed, click the Activate Plugin link to activate it.
If you’re not prompted with an update to Jetpack, please visit Jetpack → Jetpack Beta, check the settings there, and save.
Once you’ve updated to the Beta, check Jetpack → Jetpack Beta for a list of things we need your help testing! Also on that page is a link to our Beta feedback form.
We also made a short video to show you just how quickly you can be up-and-running with Jetpack Beta!
FTP Manual Installation
For these instructions, we assume you already have/know the following:
- A familiarity with how FTP works.
- An FTP client for your computer.
- Your FTP login information – contact your host if you don’t have this.
Additionally, please ensure you’ve made a recent backup to your site before proceeding.
To install Jetpack Beta via FTP:
- Check that you have the regular Jetpack plugin installed, activated, and updated to the most recent version.
- Download the Beta plugin using the button above to your computer’s desktop.
- Extract the zip archive to your desktop.
- Using your FTP client, log in to your site and upload the extracted folder from step 3 to the
wp-content/pluginsfolder in your site’s WordPress directory.
- Next, from your site’s Dashboard, go to Plugins → Installed Plugins and activate Jetpack Beta Tester by clicking the “Activate” link.
If you have trouble installing the Jetpack Beta Tester plugin – please contact our Beta Tester team.