In August, developers’ lives got a lot easier when official WordPress images certified by Bitnami and Automattic became available on Amazon Web Services.
Now, you can also find official WordPress images on the Google Cloud Platform (GCP)! Automattic (the folks behind Jetpack, WordPress.com, WooCommerce, and more) partnered with Bitnami to provide a straightforward, secure way to use WordPress and Jetpack on GCP.
From the moment you click the Launch on Compute Engine button, you can focus on your website content without worrying about how to package and launch your new site on the Google Cloud Platform server. And the WordPress images are free to launch — you’ll only need to pay Google to host your application once it’s deployed on the Google Cloud Console.
What’s in the box?
To give you a head start with site-building, the image has the popular Jetpack and AMP plugins pre-installed.
Jetpack is Automattic’s all-in-one solution for WordPress. It replaces dozens of plugins with a single solution that gives you rock-solid site performance, security, and customization tools, including:
- A free image CDN to optimize images and serve them from Jetpack’s global network.
- Brute force attack prevention to automatically block hacking attempts.
- Backups to protect your investment.
- Site activity to monitor all changes made on your website as they happen.
- Dozens of high-quality Gutenberg blocks to make editing posts and pages in WordPress a breeze. Add contact forms, ads, payment buttons, image galleries, and more to your site.
See the full list of features at Jetpack.com.
Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) is an essential tool for building rich, fast websites that work great on mobile devices. Previously, AMP mode would leave out features and styles, but the AMP plugin for WordPress converts all your content to AMP markup automatically. Other highlights include:
- Core theme support that works with all WordPress core themes from Twenty Ten to Twenty Twenty.
- A compatibility tool for detailed debugging information for validation errors.
- CSS tree-shaking that automatically removes the majority of unused CSS to bring your files below AMP’s 50KB limit for CSS.
Pick the WordPress image that works for you
Bitnami provides a range of cloud images for different needs. To launch an image, click the link then select Launch on Compute Engine. A WordPress server will be running on your console in minutes! Choose from:
- WordPress Certified by Bitnami and Automattic: ideal for personal sites and testing environments. It includes all default features.
- WordPress Multisite Certified by Bitnami and Automattic: perfect if you have different domains and sites controlled by a unique administrator.
- WordPress with NGINX and SSL Certified by Bitnami and Automattic: the right choice for dealing with a high number of connections.
- WordPress Multi-Tier Certified by Bitnami and Automattic: designed for high-demand environments. The application and database run on multiple virtual machines, which improves capacity and security.
Not sure where to start? Follow this step-by-step guide! If you’re stuck or have questions about launching WordPress on Google Cloud Platform, check out Bitnami’s documentation for WordPress or visit the Community Support Forum.
Learn how to deploy WordPress for Google Cloud Platform with guidance from Bitnami and Automattic:
Explore the benefits of Jetpack
Learn how Jetpack can help you protect, speed up, and grow your WordPress site.
Get up to 60% off your first year.Compare plans