Site Restores and Migrations
Restore your site from a backup or migrate it to a new host.
How do I restore my site?
Taking backups of your WordPress site content and data is one thing. But if something goes wrong, the real value lies in being able to use the backup to restore your site to its former glory (or migrate it to a brand new, trouble-free host).
While it’s possible to rely on manual backups and restoration, that approach tends to suffer from some inefficiencies:
- It’s time-consuming and requires “babysitting” on your end.
- You could need professional (paid) help from a developer or agency.
- Manual work is always more error-prone, especially if you’re not an expert. A single corrupted or misplaced file in a backup can lead to severe glitches — even complete site failure — if you use it to perform a WordPress restore in the future.
- You’ll need to diligently and regularly take backups of your site.
Jetpack’s site restoration or migration services from backup can be initiated with one click (really!). And best of all, most cases require no expert developer intervention.
If your website goes down for any reason, Jetpack will alert you, and you’ll be able to perform a WordPress restore in one click from your dashboard. You can be your own hero and act quickly without having to call a developer.
- Restore your site with one click, from any of your backup archives.
- Choose whether to restore the entire site or just the database, themes, plugins, or content.
- Restore manually from a backup should you need to (or just prefer it).
- Restore to a new site or migrate to a new host.
- Get priority, expert support from our Happiness Engineering team if you need help.
Part of Jetpack’s suite of security services for WordPress sites including brute force protection, uptime monitoring, data backups, security scanning, and more.
Frequently Answered Questions
Answers to common questions we get asked. We’d be more than happy to answer any additional questions you may have!
Can I restore even if my site is down or has a fatal error?
Because Jetpack VaultPress Backup stores your site backups on WordPress.com’s servers, you will have access to your backups even if your site is down or has a fatal error.
However, to complete a restore on a site that is down or has a fatal error, you will need to use the manual restore process.
Will restoring delete files from my server?
No. When we restore your site, we don’t delete files. Files with the same name will be overwritten, but uniquely-named files are not removed. We only delete our helper files, which we add to the site during the WordPress restore process.
However, it is important to note that your site’s database is completely replaced with the database from the backup you’re restoring from. So, any posts or pages you’ve added since the date of the WordPress restore point would be lost.
Can I restore to a particular day?
Yes! Using the Backup page, you can perform a WordPress restore to any particular day you want.
How do I turn it on?
Whatever sort of site you’re running, Jetpack is designed to keep your site protected and blazing fast.
Don’t have Jetpack?
If you don’t currently have Jetpack, install it now so you can begin taking advantage of free features like our CDN, downtime monitoring, and brute force attack protection. Installation is totally free and just takes a few minutes.Install Jetpack
Still undecided about upgrading?
Visit our pricing page and check out how we can secure your site or help you better reach your audience. If you are dissatisfied for any reason, we offer full refunds within 14 days for yearly plans, and within 7 days for monthly plans.Compare Plans