This widget was formerly known as the EU Cookie Law Widget.
To help WordPress users in Europe who wish to comply with the regulations, we have created a widget that can be enabled from the Dashboard.
Full-Site Editing Themes
The Cookies & Consent Banner does not presently work on Full Site Editing (FSE) themes (sometimes known as block themes) such as Twenty Twenty Two.
Enabling the Widget
The Extra Sidebar Widgets feature is required and is not enabled by default. If you do not see the functionality described below, please visit Control Jetpack’s Features on One Page to learn how to activate it.
You can add the widget — titled Cookies & Consents Banner (Jetpack) — via Appearance — Widgets in your dashboard. It can be added to any widget position, and the banner will display at the bottom of the screen when the site is loaded.
Note: The banner will only appear on posts or pages on your site that display the widget area to which you add the widget. To display the banner on the front page of your site, be sure to add the widget to a widget area that appears in that location. This will be dictated by your theme.
Widget Features & Options
- Banner text — The banner will display a default cookie notification message, which can be customized to your needs or liking.
- Button text – The text of the button that users will click to accept and dismiss the cookie notice. The default text is Close and accept.
- Capture consent & hide the banner — The banner’s dismissal rule can be set to one of three options: when a visitor specifically clicks on the button (this option is required for sites running WordAds), when a visitor scrolls down the page, or after a specific amount of time (as determined by you). If choosing to dismiss the banner after a specific amount of time, the minimum length is 3 seconds, and the maximum length is 1,000. Once the banner accepted/hidden, a technical cookie named
eucookielawis set, which prevents it from being displayed until the acceptance/consent expires (see Consent expires after below). If your site is using WordAds, an additional technical cookie named
personalized-ads-consentwill also be set, following the same expiration rule and allowing personalized ad content to be served to the accepting visitor.
- Color scheme — Display the banner using a dark or light palette. The relevant CSS selector is
#eu-cookie-law, if you wish to customize its appearance further.
- Position — Display the banner at the top part of the screen, or at the bottom (which is the default value.)
Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure that you comply with the relevant applicable laws in your jurisdiction. This widget is designed to help you take steps towards this but is not offered as a guaranteed or comprehensive solution for compliance with the ePrivacy Directive, GDPR, or other applicable laws and regulations.