Take Payments Easily with Jetpack’s Simple Payment Button

No matter what you use your Jetpack-powered site for, you want it to be successful — and profitable. But making money from your site has traditionally been a challenge if you don’t have the time to set up an online store.

Well, now it’s easier to take payments for your products, services, or charity. Starting today, Jetpack Premium and Professional customers can add a Simple Payment Button to any post or page, and start taking payments with PayPal in just a few clicks.

Add a Simple Payment Button to any post or page in a few quick steps.

To add a Simple Payment Button to your site, you’ll first need to add or edit a post or page in the WordPress.com Visual Editor. Click the drop-down arrow on the left, then choose Add Payment Button.

On the new screen that appears, you’ll be asked to add details for what you’re selling, an image (if you choose to include one), price and preferred currency, and finally the email address for your PayPal account (where the money will be sent).

You can add as much or as little information as you like here — it all depends on what you’re selling.

You can also allow customers to purchase more than one of this product — for example, if you’re selling handmade goods or food. Just toggle on Allow people to buy more than one item at a time to make it happen.

When you’re finished, click Insert and the button will appear on your post or page. Don’t forget to save your changes!

Customers can use Simple Payment Buttons with a credit card, debit card, or their PayPal balance. They don’t have to have PayPal to pay you — however, you will need an account to have your payments deposited into your bank account. Sign up here to get started.

You can use Simple Payment Buttons for anything you like: to sell physical products, accept donations for a charity, or take payments for appointments online. You can also add multiple buttons to a single post or page, or use the same button in multiple locations.

To learn more about adding, customizing, or accepting payments with Simple Payment Buttons, take a look at this support article.

We look forward to seeing how you use these payment buttons to make your site more profitable. Happy selling!

Simple Payment Buttons are available to Jetpack Premium and Professional plan customers. Upgrade now to start taking payments in just a few clicks.

This entry was posted in Features and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments

1. Have you considered Stripe?

Liked by 1 person

2. liliatconsulta says:

Does the payee need to also use Paypal

3. Norbert says:

Is something similar planned for credit card payments?

4. What payment methods are available?

5. Jere says:

Just chatted with Paypal. Their system would not report individual purchase/donations (name, address, date, amount, specific purpose/product). This would have to be provided by the web site form. Does Jetpack provide this capability? Is it easily auditable? I can imagine someone slipping in a bit of code to skim .1% of every transaction. Thanks!

6. Nicole says:

How much per transaction does jetpack take from purchase price and b. How much per donation does jetpack charge?

7. Can I use this payment service in wordpress.com blog? I have a photography blog https://tareqsalahuddin.wordpress.com which I was not updating for a couple of years. If this is possible, I’d rethink about selling photos on my blog.

8. hi i own a store, i dont receipt direct payments because i dont have an ssl does jetpack provides it? i only take payments through paypal redirecting customer to paypal website with api.

• Adam says:

Hi there!

> i dont receipt direct payments because i dont have an ssl does jetpack provides it?

Jetpack itself does not provide an SSL certificate for your site. However, our payments button opens a popup that takes the payment, and that *is* done over SSL, as you can see in this screenshot:

So it should be OK for you to use. 🙂

9. maxdwh says:

Most people I know are very anti-PayPal—Stripe is by far the preferred method for us!

Excellent step in the right direction though. Awesome to see the democratisation of payments online.

10. Jordi says:

Hi,
    Do you work with S2MEMBER to sign up for subscriptions ?

11. Jere says:

For a church, how would we handle special donations, for example for a building campaign or youth projects? Separate paypal accounts?

• Howdy Jere, if you wanted to use a separate PayPal account to receive donations for different organizations, purposes, etc. you could do so.

You’re able to designate the email that receives the payments (or donations) when you add a simple payment button to your post or page, so you could use a different email/account during that step to make them go to different places and keep them separated.

Does this help? If you’re thinking of something else, please give our support team a shout and we’ll see if we can come up with a good solution for you!

12. Mohsin Alam says:

Can it be alternative or better solution of existing payment gateway?

13. Interesting. Have you planned incorporating Paypal subscriptions?

• Hi Pothi! Right now the Simple Payment Button only supports one-time, non-recurring payments. For subscription payments, you could use WooCommerce and the PayPal Payments Standard option (or something similar).

14. Do you have plans to add more payment options?

15. johannawise says:

Is this set up to take recurring payments? I’m set up with PayPal, but not for recurring payments, as they charge extra for this feature.

• Adam says:

Johanna,

> Is this set up to take recurring payments?

Not at the moment, no. Each payment is a standalone transaction. Recurring payments is a great idea though, and I’ll definitely pass this on to our developers. 🙂

Thanks!

16. edgarswalker says:

Will it be possible to take recurring payments, for example monthly subscriptions?

17. Sorry to ask this, might be a stupid question.

This is available via Jetpack Premium, is this the same as WordPress.com Premium?

18. DreamiFly says:

good feature, but i can’t see it in post, is it upgraded to it will be available soon.

• Adam says:

Hi there!

Keep in my that there are a few requirements to be able to add the payment button:

– You need a Jetpack Premium or Professional plan.

– You have to be running Jetpack version 5.2 or later.

– You must be using the WordPress.com editor.

If you start a post on your Jetpack site here:

Can you see it then? Let us know if not. 🙂

19. nadirajamal says:

I’m interested, but I’m not clear on what the advantages are over just adding a button via Paypal’s code (other than adding the photo, which isn’t hard to do manually). Am I missing something?

Liked by 1 person

• Adam says:

We like to think it’s a bit simpler than having to mess with the PayPal button code, plus you also get a monthly report of all transactions via email. 🙂

20. Lani says:

I went to go add a paypal button, and my Viewer doesn’t have the drop down arrow. Just has “add media” and “add form”. I am a wordpress.org user so it should be there, should it not?

21. Emil Jacobs says:

I’m looking for a Patreon-like functionality. So, crowdfunding in a periodic (weekly, monthly, annually…) manner. Is that planned?

So far, it just seems a very fancy PayPal button…

• Adam says:

Emil,

That’s not something we’re planning currently, but we’re certainly taking feedback on what our customers want next. 🙂

Thanks for the great idea!

22. David R says:

Hi

Seems like a great feature. But, to confirm, if I am either selling an item or asking for a donation, say, $100, the person making the payment will pay exactly $100 and I will then get also exactly $100 deposited into my Paypal account?

If this is correct, it seems ‘too good to be true’. Hence the question.

Two other comments/questions :

First, I saw mention that not much information is being passed through – how will I know how much I am receiving from each person sending in a payment and what the payment will be for?

Second, to lend my voice to others already expressed, while Paypal is great, there is sadly a very significant community of people who hate it and refuse to use it. A more neutral ‘white label’ type payment processor such as Stripe has a great deal of appeal so as to offer a solution to the Paypal-haters out there.

David.

• Adam says:

David,

> if I am either selling an item or asking for a donation, say, $100, the person making the payment will pay exactly $100 and I will then get also exactly $100 deposited into my Paypal account?

We do not charge any fees on these transactions. I’m not sure if PayPal themselves will charge you a fee or not, since I don’t really use their service myself. That would be a question for their support folks I imagine.

> how will I know how much I am receiving from each person sending in a payment and what the payment will be for?

For every purchase, PayPal will send you a confirmation email with the customer or donor’s information. You will also receive an email from Jetpack when a purchase is completed, as well as a monthly report for all your Simple Payment buttons.

> A more neutral ‘white label’ type payment processor such as Stripe has a great deal of appeal

Adding more payment processors is definitely something that we’re looking into, as I mentioned above. 🙂

Thanks!

23. dmrowell says:

Hi, Adam

All understood, thanks for the fast reply. It seems then that the usual Paypal fees will apply. Still a nice extra service you’re offering though.

24. Ville says:

Really good news. This is extremely good for people who sells digital products online. Hopefully this makes life as easier as I think 🙂