Jetpack Search is a powerful replacement for WordPress’ built-in search. It provides higher quality results and better scalability; runs in the WordPress.com cloud; and is a hosted Elasticsearch service with a public query API.
It’s suitable for content-rich sites, or sites where relevant, fast results are important to your users.
There is no configuration necessary – just enable the module and start enjoying better search results.
Jetpack Search is available to all Jetpack Professional subscribers.
- No configuration necessary, works with WordPress’ built-in search widget, Jetpack’s search widget, or your theme’s own search widget
- Real-time indexing – no waiting for new articles to appear in search results
- More relevant results thanks to adjustable result scoring tuned for WordPress
- Fast results no matter how much content your site contains – no more timeouts due to slow MySQL queries
- Rock solid reliability from the same system that powers Jetpack Related Posts on millions of sites and the search on hundreds of WordPress.com VIP sites.
- Developer friendly – all the power of Elasticsearch at your fingertips
- Save money – running your own Elasticsearch cluster in the cloud would cost almost $4000/yr*, over 10 times the price of a Jetpack Professional subscription. Comparable WordPress services range from around $4000/yr to $12,000/yr. Our scale means cost savings for you!
- Transparently intercepts searches via WP_Query, for “search” style queries that are also the “main” query.
- Aggregations are not currently supported.
- Post meta and custom taxonomies are not available for querying/filtering.
How fast does Jetpack Search index my content?
New and updated content is indexed instantly. When you first install Jetpack, it may take a few minutes or hours before your content is fully indexed, but after that the index is always up-to-date. If you are an existing user, your will be searchable as soon as you enable the module.
Does Jetpack Search have content limits or tiers?
No limits, no tiers, no hidden costs. All your content in real time.
How do I enable this in my theme?
Jetpack Search works with WordPress’ own search widget, and most other search widgets. No changes to your theme are necessary.
Can I use this for custom Elasticsearch queries?
Yes! You can send any valid Elasticsearch query (ES 2.4+) to
Jetpack_Search::instance()->search( $query ). Security restrictions apply. More details and developer docs coming soon.
How do I enable Jetpack Search?
Once you’ve connected your site, head to WordPress.com and log in with your WordPress.com account.
Browse to your site settings, and you will find the Search setting in the Traffic tab.
I did that and I still can’t see the setting!
To use Jetpack Search, you must be a Jetpack Professional subscriber.
Where can I learn more about the API?
During the Beta period we are working on updated documentation for Jetpack Search. The following are documents prepared for WordPress VIP, which uses Jetpack Search extensively.
If you have questions or concerns, we would love to hear from you! Please send us a support request and mention that you’re interested in Jetpack Search.
* Pricing based on 3 servers costing 15c/hour each