These days, most organizations use at least some form of video for marketing, training, or another integral part of their ongoing operations. So, finding a place to host all of this content is a big deal. But with so many options and pricing plans to choose from, it can be hard to know which service is right for you. That’s why we’ve put together this comprehensive guide on how much video hosting costs in 2023.
We’ll take a look at popular services like Jetpack VideoPress, Vimeo, Wistia, and more, comparing their features and prices side-by-side to help you find the right fit for your budget.
So if you’re looking for a place to host your videos or just want a better understanding of what’s out there, read on!
Why pay for a video hosting service?
When it comes to hosting your videos, there are a number of options available. While some websites may choose to host videos directly on their own server, this can quickly consume bandwidth and slow down the website’s loading time. This is where video hosting services and platforms come in.
There are a number of pros and cons to paying for a video hosting service, specifically in the context of WordPress:
Pros of a video hosting service:
- Improved user experience: By hosting videos on a dedicated video hosting platform, they will usually load faster and more smoothly for visitors to your website, leading to a better overall user experience.
- Bandwidth savings: Video files can be very large and hosting them on your own server can consume a significant amount of bandwidth, potentially leading to slow loading times and high costs. With a video hosting service, the provider will handle the bandwidth, freeing up your site’s resources.
- Security: Video hosting services often provide security features such as encryption and secure storage, helping to keep the website’s content safe from theft or misuse.
- Advanced features: Many video hosting services offer advanced features like customizable video players, analytics, and monetization options that may not be available through self-hosting.
Cons of a video hosting service:
- Cost: Of course, the main disadvantage of paying for a video hosting service is the cost. Depending on the provider and plan selected, this can be a fairly significant monthly expense.
- Dependence on a third party: By relying on a third party to host videos, you’re dependent on the video hosting service to keep its content accessible and secure. If the service experiences downtime or security breaches, your videos may become unavailable. They may also remove or limit access to your videos if they feel you’ve violated a policy. This is often an automated process with limited avenues for resolving disputes.
- Limitations: Video hosting services come with varying limitations, such as file size restrictions, file format restrictions, and bandwidth limits. These things can impact your ability to host certain types of content or reach a desired audience.
While there are certainly pros and cons to paying for a video hosting service, it’s often a worthwhile expense for websites looking to provide a fast, secure, and user-friendly video experience.
What determines the price of video hosting?
The cost of a video hosting service can be influenced by a number of factors, including:
1. Storage limits
The amount of storage space required by your videos will impact the cost of the video hosting service. Typically, the more storage space you need, the higher the cost.
2. Hosting infrastructure
The type of hosting infrastructure used affects the service price, too. For example, a provider that uses more advanced, high-performance servers may charge a higher fee than one that uses less sophisticated infrastructure.
3. Streaming quality and speed
The quality and speed of the video streaming experience will also impact the total amount you’ll shell out each month. Plans that offer high-quality, fast streaming may be more expensive than those that offer a lower quality or slower streaming experience.
Some video hosting providers may charge based on the bandwidth used. So, as your content becomes more popular, you may need to upgrade to a higher plan.
5. Technical support
The level of technical support offered by the video hosting service can also have an impact on what you’ll pay. Providers that offer more extensive technical support, such as 24/7 assistance and live chat, may charge a higher fee than ones that offer more limited support options.
6. Video monetization
Some video hosting services offer monetization options, such as the ability to show ads or to charge for access to certain videos. The addition of this feature can contribute to a higher fee.
7. Ad-free streaming
Some streaming platforms may have options to disable ads before, after, or during your videos. This provides an uninterrupted experience for viewers and helps keep them focused on your message. Allowing for this ad-free experience, however, may come at your expense.
Providers that offer more extensive customization options, such as the ability to fully brand the video player, may charge a higher fee than ones that offer more basic options.
The ability to integrate the video hosting service with other platforms, such as social media or ecommerce tools can impact the cost, too. Providers that offer a wide range of integrations may charge a higher fee than ones that offer more limited integration options.
If your aim is to grow your video offerings, scalability is vital. Providers that make it easy to increase storage, bandwidth, and other resources as needed may charge a higher fee, too.
There are many factors that can impact the cost of a video hosting service. When considering a provider, it’s important to carefully evaluate the needs and goals of your website.
Pricing comparison of top video hosting platforms
Jetpack VideoPress is specifically designed for WordPress and WooCommerce users, offering a sleek and unobtrusive video player that’s perfectly tailored to showcase your content.
Additionally, there’s no limit to the number of users, making it an ideal solution for those with multiple contributors on their site. With its clean and lightweight interface, Jetpack VideoPress is designed to stay out of the way and allow your video content to take center stage.
You likely recognize the Jetpack name as one of the premier toolkits for WordPress sites. It’s built by the same people behind WordPress.com and WooCommerce.
You can get access to Jetpack VideoPress as part of the Jetpack plugin, and take advantage of its other security, performance, and marketing features. Or get the dedicated Jetpack VideoPress plugin and enjoy up to 1TB of video storage with a basic plan.
Key features of Jetpack VideoPress:
- High-quality video playback with up to 4K resolution.
- The ability for viewers to select the video format they want, from 480p to 4K, with their selection saved for future videos.
- Playback speed controls
- Support for smooth playback of rapid-motion videos, up to 60 frames per second (FPS)
- Full mobile optimization
- Picture-in-picture support
- The ability to drag and drop videos directly into WordPress and manage them directly from the Media Library
- An ad-free experience
- A global CDN for high performance
- The ability to create full-width video backgrounds for your WordPress site
Pros of Jetpack VideoPress:
- Integration with WordPress and WooCommerce makes it easy to manage your video content.
- A clean and lightweight interface helps keep the focus on your videos.
- It has a fully customizable player and ad-free experience.
Cons of Jetpack VideoPress:
- The free version only allows for a single video
Ease of use:
Jetpack VideoPress is super easy to use and navigate. The interface is straightforward and intuitive, making it easy to upload and manage your videos. You can quickly create customized video galleries in minutes.
Best use cases:
Jetpack VideoPress is best for WordPress and WooCommerce users who need a reliable video hosting solution that can be easily integrated with their existing website. If user experience or keeping the attention of marketing leads is important to you, the fast, reliable hosting infrastructure and the ad-free, branded player is a great option.
Jetpack VideoPress is available through the Jetpack Complete plan ($50 / month with additional world-class WordPress security, performance, and marketing tools) or through an individual plugin for just $10 per month (billed annually).
It includes 1TB of storage and an ad-free and fully customizable player for unlimited users. It also includes top-notch support from Happiness Engineers, who know both VideoPress and WordPress in and out.
Vimeo is a popular video hosting and sharing platform that was founded in 2004 by filmmakers Jake Lodwick and Zach Klein. The platform was created as an alternative to more commercial video-sharing sites like YouTube, with a focus on providing a space for artists, filmmakers, and content creators to showcase their work and connect with their audiences.
Vimeo has since developed even more features and tools, including support for high-definition video, customization options for the video player, and a robust video editing suite. Today, Vimeo is one of the largest and most popular video-sharing platforms on the internet, with millions of users and a vast library of creative content.
Key features of Vimeo:
- Customizable embedding
- Live streaming capabilities
- 360-degree video support
- Simulated live event support
- API integration
- Privacy controls
- Streaming up to 4k Ultra HD
Pros of Vimeo:
- It offers high-quality video streaming across a variety of use cases.
- It includes advanced customization options for the video player, so it will seamlessly flow with the rest of your site.
- It includes a robust video editing suite with a variety of tools.
- It’s ad-free, which means that site visitors won’t be distracted by ads from your competitors while watching your content.
Cons of Vimeo:
- The platform can be expensive for those who need a lot of storage space or advanced features.
- The interface is less intuitive than some of the other platforms.
- Pricing is based on the number of users, which makes it a much more expensive option for sites with multiple administrators.
Ease of use:
Vimeo is relatively easy to use, but the interface can be a bit overwhelming for those who are just getting started. However, it does offer a variety of helpful tutorials and documentation to help users get up and running.
Best use cases:
Vimeo is best for businesses, organizations, marketers, and content creators who need a reliable and high-quality video hosting solution. The platform is ideal for those who need a wide range of customization options and advanced features to give their videos a professional touch. The integrated live streaming capabilities make it a great option for events and conferences, too, though this feature is only included with higher-tier plans.
Vimeo offers four pricing plans:
- The Starter plan, which costs $9 per user per month and supports 60 videos.
- The Standard plan, which costs $25 per user per month and supports 120 videos.
- The Advanced plan, which costs $65 per user per month and supports 240 videos.
- An enterprise plan, which is customized based on your specific needs.
Wistia is a video hosting and marketing platform that was founded in 2006. The company was created by Chris Savage, Brendan Schwartz, and Jeff Vincent with the goal of making video hosting and marketing simple and accessible for businesses of all sizes.
Wistia was one of the first companies to focus specifically on the needs of digital marketers, offering a range of features and tools designed to help organizations effectively use video as part of their lead generation efforts. It’s used by thousands of businesses worldwide.
Key features of Wistia:
- A customizable video player design
- Customizable calls-to-action and in-video lead generation tools
- Video editing capabilities
- Collaborative feedback opportunities for teams
- Advanced A/B testing
- In-depth analytics and tracking
Pros of Wistia:
- It’s focused on the needs of businesses and marketers for advanced lead generation.
- It has advanced integrations and tools for creating and optimizing videos.
- It includes in-depth analytics and tracking capabilities.
Cons of Wistia:
- The platform can be expensive for those who need more than three users or a lot of storage space.
- There’s no official WordPress plugin to integrate Wistia with your site.
Ease of use:
Wistia is designed with digital marketers in mind; anyone in the industry will likely find it easy to use. Advanced integration of forms with your existing tech stack might take a bit of learning.
Best use cases:
Wistia is best for businesses that require an integrated video hosting and marketing platform. The platform’s advanced features, such lead capture tools, A/B testing, and in-depth analytics, make it ideal for those who want to optimize their videos for maximum marketing effectiveness. Medium to larger businesses with robust marketing teams will find Wistia most helpful.
- A free forever plan that includes support for ten videos, analytics, and captions.
- The Plus plan, which costs $19 per month and includes everything in Free as well as support for 20 videos and three users and lead capture forms.
- The Pro plan, which costs $79 per month and includes everything in the previous plans, as well as support for 50 videos, five users, A/B testing, and video heat maps.
- The Advanced plan, which costs $319 per month and includes all that comes in the other plans, plus support for 250 videos, up to 20 users, livestreaming, and various marketing integrations.
4. JW Player
JW Player is a video platform that has been serving the industry for over a decade. It was founded in 2005 by Dave Otten, Jeroen Wijering, and Brian Rifkin. JW Player started as a simple Flash-based player for delivering video content over the web.
JW Player now powers billions of video views each month on some of the world’s most popular websites. It offers a complete suite of tools and services for creating, managing, monetizing, and distributing video content across any device or website.
Key features of JW Player:
- Video hosting and streaming
- Embeddable video players
- Analytics and insights
- Advertising and monetization options for professional broadcasters and media creators
- API access and integrations for advanced users and developers
- Live broadcasting capabilities
Pros of JW Player:
- It’s one of the most well-established video platforms.
- It has highly-customizable players and tools.
- It includes enterprise-level playback, livestreaming, and custom integration options.
- It offers advanced monetization tools.
- It has great customer support.
Cons of JW Player:
- The free version is limited in terms of features, storage, and bandwidth.
- Pricing plans are hidden behind a contact form, making it more difficult to do product comparisons.
Ease of use:
JW Player is fairly easy to use, even for those who are not familiar with the basics of online video hosting. The platform’s user interface is fairly intuitive and straightforward, making it easy to quickly get up and running.
Best use cases:
JW Player is best for those who need a powerful, feature-rich platform for hosting, managing, and distributing video content. It’s designed especially for enterprise-level video producers for whom video is a major revenue driver. The platform’s advanced monetization tools make it a great choice for those looking to monetize their videos.
JW Player offers a free trial for up to 30 days to test everything out. The trial includes 25 GB of hosting space, plus 75 GB of streaming bandwidth.
All premium plans are hidden behind a contact form, but do seem to include a wide range of features including those for the video player, streaming functions, as well as engagement and monetization options.
As it’s more geared towards advanced and enterprise-level users, it’s not likely a great choice for those with a limited budget.
Dacast is a leading online video platform that provides video hosting, livestreaming, and video monetization services to businesses, organizations, and individuals worldwide. The company was founded in 2010 and is headquartered in San Francisco, California.
From the beginning, Dacast focused on providing innovative video solutions that help organizations reach their audiences with engaging video content. With its intuitive interface and cutting-edge technology, Dacast has quickly become a popular choice for businesses and organizations.
Key features of Dacast:
- Multiple language options for the video player
- The ability to utilize advanced video encoding techniques
- Seamless livestreaming with DVR capabilities
- Closed captions, which make your videos more accessible
- Video monetization options
- Detailed video analytics
Pros of Dacast:
- It has an intuitive interface that’s easy to use and get started.
- It offers unique, advanced features like video monetization and DVR capabilities.
- It has competitive pricing with a range of features and options.
Cons of Dacast:
- There is no free tier available.
- The video player is not as customizable as some other providers.
- There is no WordPress plugin available, which can make adding videos to your site more difficult.
Ease of use:
Dacast is designed to be user-friendly and intuitive for both beginners and more experienced users. The platform is easy to navigate, with clear menus and options that make it simple to find the tools you need.
Best use cases:
Dacast is best for businesses and organizations who want a comprehensive video platform with advanced features. The platform’s monetization and livestreaming tools make it a great choice for those who want to maximize their video content’s potential, while the customizable video player ensures that viewers have a seamless experience.
Dacast does offer a 14-day free trial, so you can try out the features and decide if it’s right for you. After that, there are three plans to choose from:
- The Starter plan, which is priced at $39 per month (charged annually), and includes 1.2TB of data per year, as well as 50GB of storage. This includes features like livestreaming, unlimited viewers, and HD broadcasting.
- The Event plan, which is priced at $63 per month (charged annually), and comes with 6TB upfront and 50GB of storage, along with real-time analytics, a live countdown, and a paywall.
- The Scale plan, which is $188 per month (charged annually) and includes 24 TB per year and 1000 GB of storage, plus unlimited channels, VOD chapter markers, and much more.
There are also custom plan options available for those whose needs exceed the standard plans.
Vidyard is a video marketing and hosting platform that was founded in 2010 by Michael Litt and Devon Galloway. The company was created with the goal of making video marketing and hosting easier and more effective for businesses of all sizes. Vidyard was one of the first companies to offer a comprehensive video hosting and marketing platform, and it quickly became known for its advanced features and tools.
Key features of Vidyard:
- Fully customizable calls-to-action that you can place inside videos
- Thumbnail A/B testing
- Email marketing integrations
- Automatic transcripts
- Full CRM support
- Screen recording tools
Pros of Vidyard:
- It integrates with CRMs and sales tools like Salesforce and LinkedIn.
- You can use its tools for email marketing. This means that you can easily share videos directly within emails.
- It includes in-depth analytics and tracking capabilities.
Cons of Vidyard:
- The price point is out of reach for many small businesses.
- While it has a lot of features, these can quickly become overwhelming for sites that just need basic video hosting capabilities.
Ease of use:
Vidyard is easy to use and navigate, with an intuitive user interface. The platform offers a range of features and tools that are designed to make video marketing easier, including email marketing, which is super helpful for those who want to promote their videos.
Best use cases:
Vidyard is best suited for businesses and organizations looking to enhance their video marketing and sales strategies, improve corporate communications, and develop e-learning and training programs through a comprehensive and secure platform. The platform’s advanced features and tools make it an excellent choice for those who need to track engagement and conversions from their videos.
- The Free Forever plan allows you to add up to 25 videos, edit videos, and share your videos via email and social media.
- The Pro plan starts at $19 per month (billed annually) and includes hosting for unlimited videos, as well as video analytics and calls-to-action.
- The Business plan includes all Pro features, plus full analytics, CRM and MAP integrations, and fully customizable video calls-to-action. Pricing is based on each specific business.
Video hosting comparison table
|Jetpack VideoPress||Vimeo||Wistia||JW Player||Dacast||Vidyard|
|Storage Limits||1TB||120 – 240 videos||10 – 250 videos||Unavailable||50 – 1000 GB||Unlimited|
|Streaming Quality and Speed||N/A||Yes||N/A||Unavailable||HD||N/A|
|Bandwidth||Unlimited||N/A||N/A||Unavailable||1.2 TB – 24 TB/year||N/A|
|Ease of Use||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||More advanced features||Yes|
|Pricing||$10 per month||$9/user per month – $65/user per month||Free – $399 per month||Contact for info/Trial available||$39 – $188 per month||Free – $29 per month|
How to choose the best video hosting service for your needs
When it comes to choosing the best video hosting service, there are a few key factors you need to consider.
First and foremost, think about whether the tool you choose can grow with you. You don’t want to have to switch providers or significantly increase spending as your videos gain more views or your business grows to include more team members.
Next, think about the features offered by each provider. Make sure they have everything you need, such as analytics, seamless WordPress integration, an ad-free experience, and customization options.
Finally, look at their pricing plans, and make sure that it fits with your goals and provides a high value. Ultimately, the choice should be based on your specific needs.
Which platform offers the best bang for your buck?
When it comes to choosing the right video hosting platform for your business, there are a lot of factors to consider, including cost. To get the best value for your money, it’s important to understand what you need from your video hosting platform and what kind of budget you’re working with.
For businesses that are already on WordPress, or those looking for a highly customizable and scalable environment, Jetpack VideoPress is a great option. With its built-in integration with WordPress and its enterprise-grade features, it offers a cost-effective solution that can grow with your business.
Of course, the best choice for you will depend on your specific needs and requirements. For businesses looking for other features, such as advanced analytics or livestreaming capabilities, other platforms may be a better fit. In that case, our comparison table will help you weigh the pros and cons of each platform and determine which one offers the best bang for your buck.
Frequently asked questions about video hosting and its costs
Want to learn more about how video hosting is priced and how that might affect your decision? Here are some answers to commonly asked questions:
What’s the difference between self-hosting and using a video hosting service?
Self-hosting requires you to have your own server (or a web hosting plan with access to a shared or dedicated server) and manage the hosting, streaming, and backups of your video content yourself. This includes hosting and storing your videos on your WordPress site.
With a video hosting service, all of that is taken care of for you as part of the package. This helps reduce your web costs and can drastically improve the loading time of your videos. To have a deeper understanding of the different hosting options, read our guide on how to host videos on your website.
What does video hosting cost?
The cost of video hosting can vary depending on the provider and plan you choose. Generally speaking, the cost will be based on factors such as the size of your content library, storage space requirements, and features included in the package. Some services may offer discounts for long-term commitments.
Are there any free video hosting services?
Yes, some providers offer free plans with limited features and storage space. Keep in mind that these are usually best suited for smaller teams and personal projects. If you’re looking for a more robust solution, you’ll likely need to upgrade to a paid plan.
How can I reduce my video hosting costs?
One way to reduce the cost of video hosting is to use a service that offers discounts for long-term commitments. You can also look for providers that offer free plans with limited features and storage space, or that offer tiered plans, so you can pay for only the features you need. Finally, be sure to shop around and compare pricing between different providers. You may find a better deal when you do your research!
Are there any hidden fees associated with video hosting?
It’s important to read the fine print before signing up for a plan. Some services may charge extra for features like streaming or advanced analytics, while others may charge based on storage space or user accounts. Be sure to check out all the details, so you know exactly what you’re signing up for.
Embrace the future of video
For businesses looking for a comprehensive and reliable video hosting platform, Jetpack VideoPress is an excellent choice. With enterprise-grade features, seamless WordPress integration, and affordable pricing options, it’s a well-rounded option that can suit any budget. Plus, there’s a sizable discount available for the first year.
Use our comparison table above to more succinctly weigh the features of each platform. You can easily compare the pros and cons of each to help determine which one is the best fit for your business.