The Jetpack Social plugin allows you to share your WordPress posts with your social networks. It provides all the features of Jetpack Social without needing to install the Jetpack plugin.
If you are looking for general information about the features of Jetpack Social, please see this page.
Jetpack Social does not require the Jetpack plugin to work.
What do I need to run Jetpack Social on my site?
- A web host that meets the WordPress host requirements.
- The latest version of WordPress. If your version of WordPress is out of date, you’ll see a prompt to automatically upgrade with a single click, or can upgrade manually.
- A WordPress.com account. Don’t have one yet? Sign up for one here, or create one during the Jetpack connection flow. You only need one WordPress.com account to access all our services (including Akismet, Crowdsignal, Gravatar, and WordPress.com itself). If you use any of these services, you already have a WordPress.com account to connect to Jetpack. You can reset your WordPress.com password if you need to.
- A publicly accessible WordPress site: no password protection or Coming Soon / Maintenance Mode plugin in use.
- A publicly accessible XML-RPC file.
Installing Jetpack Social
Installing Jetpack Social can be done from your site’s WP Admin. To install Jetpack Social via WP Admin:
- Go to Plugins → Add New.
- Search for Jetpack Social. The latest version will show in the search results.
- Click Install Now and Activate.
- After activating, you will be prompted to set up Jetpack Social. Click on the Manage social media connections button.
- Now you need to connect your social platforms to the Jetpack Social page. Click Connect next to the social network you want to connect to.
- Log in to that social network site and authorize the connection.
You can connect to any of the following networks:
- Facebook Pages
After you add a new connection, you have the option to make the connection ‘global’, meaning it can also be used by any other user on your site who has the ability to publish posts.
To make the connection available to all users, check the box labeled “Connection available to all administrators, editors, and authors”.
Further reading: Connecting to Social Networks.
To configure the Jetpack Social options when writing a new post, click the green Jetpack icon at the top right of the editing sidebar.
You’ll then see the Social options under the Share this post section, where you can toggle social media connections, connect new services, and write a custom message to be used when your post is shared.
- Custom excerpt: The easiest way is to use the Custom Message option in the publishing options box prior to publishing your post.
Further reading: Sharing
Jetpack Social includes My Jetpack – a dashboard for managing your Jetpack products and plans all in one place.
You can learn more about the My Jetpack dashboard on this support page.
This feature is deactivated by default. It can be activated at any time by installing the plugin and activating it.