The Site Icon module allows you to add an icon for your site. This icon will be used as a favicon and mobile icon for your site, and will persist between theme switches.
WordPress itself now has Site Icon built in!
You can find it via Appearance->Customize. When we released Jetpack 3.6.1, the setting was in Settings->General and added a link to there. Between the time we release 3.6.1 and when WordPress 4.3 was released, the feature was moved into the Customizer. Jetpack 3.7 will correct the link.
A favicon is a small image that appears in a browser’s address bar or next to the site name in a bookmark list. Similar to a favicon, a mobile icon (sometimes referred to as a touch icon) will appear on a user’s mobile device if they bookmark your site or add a link to your site on their homescreen. Jetpack’s Site Icon module allows you to easily create both of these!
How to add a Site Icon
You can follow these steps to set a Site Icon:
- From your Dashboard, enable the Site Icon module under Jetpack > Settings.
- Navigate to Settings > General, and scroll down to Site Icon.
- Click the Add a Site Icon button.
- Click the Choose File button to select the desired icon.
- Click the Upload Image button.
- Crop your image. You can use the Preview section on the right to see what your image will look like in its final form.
- Click the Crop Image button.
- That’s it! You’re shiny new Site Icon is ready to go!
- The uploaded image should be at least 512×512 pixels in size.
- Site Icons must be square. If the uploaded image is not a square, you can crop it after uploading.